Self-storage is a multi-billion industry and growing immensely. It is one of the best ways to keep your belongings safe when you need more space in your home or when you need to sell your home or when you need to remodel your home etc. Though renting storage space is easy, there are a few do’s and don’ts which if you adhere to will surely be advantageous for you.
- Ensure that you opt for a good storage company. Remember that your belongings need to be safe for the period you keep it there and if you are going to keep your belongings in a shady company then chances are you may not find them when you hope to retrieve them. Ideally you should type storage units near me in Google and you will get a list of storage unit companies near you and you can check references, cost and more and then decide on the one that suits you.
- Itemize the things you want to store. This will help you take stock of things whenever you need them and also help you in categorizing and keeping them in the storage unit.
- You need to label the boxes as it is very important. You will save a lot of time when the boxes are labelled neatly and you know which item is where.
- Place your boxes in such a way that you are able to retrieve them easily. You may want to access a few items frequently while there could be items which you would retrieve very rarely, so ensure that such items are placed in the back and those items which you need frequently are in the front of the space.
- Check if the storage renters are insured and if not it would be a good idea to insure your things.
- Do not make the mistake of waiting till you need storage space at any cost. Do your research and plan and you will be able to get a good storage space at the right price.
- It is advisable to not store anything that is very valuable in a storage space. Though they are generally very safe you cannot be always sure. If something is very valuable keep it with you and do not take any risks.
- Do not keep your things without wrappings. For example you should keep your furniture safe by wrapping them in blankets. If there are items that can break use bubble wrap etc.
- Never ever store foods or other things that can get spoilt. It can cause bacterial growth and can also become a place infested with rats etc.
- Do not hesitate to ask for any help you may require. The storage companies are usually very helpful and they can help you with any problems that you may have.